Labels

video (16)

Monday, May 16, 2011

WITHOUT MUSIC...HOW BORING WOULD LIFE BE?

Just some thoughts I had this afternoon while driving home with the kids:


Whatever kind of music you like, I think most of us can agree it would be ridiculously boring without it. Unless, you like that nasty, wife-beating Eminem mess. We all could do without that. And, if you are not one that needs music everyday, I have to say, I don't get that. How can anyone not need music? It puzzles me. Anyway, like a teacher at the kids' school told me last week...your kids have no chance of not loving music. I'm glad that's true because it would shatter my heart if they didn't. Maggie has always been pretty gifted with a musical ear. Lately, we're discovering that Mac is as well and Miss Mary is jumping right in there with them. Poor Brett. He loves to sing and wishes he was even slightly good at it. He has said, on numerous occasions, "don't you wish I could sing and we could sing together? I would be so good because I would put so much heart into it." You gotta give him credit, he has no shame and sings at the top of his lungs and does, indeed, give it his whole heart. Mag is relentless and constantly tells him that he's terrible. Poor guy. Anyway, I want to jot down what they are currently enjoying these days. In the beginning, I liked the show, GLEE. Not so much now. It's highly inappropriate and my deacon husband has said "no." However, we have volume 1 in the car. No, I didn't promote the show by purchasing it, I simply stole it from Hayden. Sorry, Hay.



Mag's current fav - #12 "You Keep Me Hangin' On"

Mac's current fav - #15 "Sweet Caroline" or as Mac calls it "Sweet Cawolwine" Mac is also pretty impressive with the ad libs on "Defying Gravity." And just too flippin' cute, I might add.

Mary's currect fav - #16 "Dancing With Myself"

Now, if they are all wailing while in the car, we put on #14 "Bust A Move" and they all immediately smile and start jammin'.

Going back to when the kids were itty bitty, "Praise Baby" was a life saver. That is the only thing that would settle them down when completely distraught at 2 am. We spent many a hour listening to those dvd's. In fact, we love them so much that we give them as gifts at just about every shower I attend. While typing this, I hear Mac in the living room say, "Where'd the moosic go?"


Grown ups are the same way. We can be in a horrible mood and the punch of a button can change all that. I wanted to say "turn of a dial" but does anyone have dials anymore? And think of how many hymns run through your mind throughout the day. Those can perk you up in a second or just give you peace.

Three quotes that are on this sidebar but worth repeating:

"I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to." - Elvis

"An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of the Lone Ranger." - Dan Rather

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley

With all that everyone is dealing with after the tornado, music is definitely an outlet.

1 comment:

Beaver said...

I was having a bad day on Friday, but when I went into the cafeteria they were playing "Super Freak" and my day suddenly got 100 times better as I danced and sang my way through the line. "Mrs. Beaver, please don't do that again." When the 13 year olds are embarrassed, I know it's good stuff. Haha.

And I've been playing the Hide 'Em in Your Heart CD for Elsie I'm the car lately, so it's a soundtrack to my life, running through my head all day. "Do everything without complaining. Do everything without arguing!"